Locked in for your protection, but just how safe are you?
Lockdown measures have been introduced over recent weeks to slow down the spread of the coronavirus (Covid-19), these same measures are putting one group more at risk.
Men, women and children who live with abusers have no way of escape from their abusers during quarantine. Activists from Brazil, Germany, Italy and China are already seeing a rise in abuse.
There are different ways abuse can take place and sometimes it can be tricky to know if you’re in an abusive relationship. If you find yourself questioning whether you’re in an abusive relationship or not, take time to think through it by asking yourself these 11 questions.
- Are they (implicitly or explicitly) trying to gain control over me?
- Is the relationship mutually beneficial?
- Am I expected to sacrifice when they won’t even compromise?
- Am I comfortable expressing myself?
- Am I happy most of the time?
- How do I feel about myself when I am with my partner?
- Do I have uninterrupted time with my friends/family?
- Are my personal boundaries respected?
- Do I take the blame even when it’s not my fault?
- Do I make excuses to my friends/family for their behaviour?
- What is my gut feeling telling me?